This is a review for The Edge of Courage (Red Team Book 1) by Elaine Levine.
I just want to start by saying I have mixed feelings about this book for personal reasons. One of the main characters, Rocco, suffers from PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) after a 7 year undercover assignment in Afghanistan. His flashbacks set the scene of a massive explosion with humane carnage surrounding him, and the scenes where things trigger his PTSD are very intense. Had I known that was going to be a focus on this book I probably would not have picked it up - my boyfriend served in Iraq and was broke his back from an IED, and I don't really like to imagine what it's really like over there because I don't want to think about what could have happened. But with that aside, I'll do my best to review this book.
Rocco is hired to work on a ranch for Mandy, little sister of a man (Kit) that he served with. Kit felt that this would be a good place for Rocco to start his recovery process, and Mandy needs the help because someone has been trying to sabotage her dreams of opening a therapeutic riding center.
Because of his PTSD, Rocco is very reluctant to get near Mandy and he is practically starving himself. He also decides to grow his beard because he has plans of going back to Afghanistan for his son. Mandy makes it her mission to make him eat, and finds herself diffusing several situations that develop with the town and Rocco's severe PTSD. She also finds herself developing romantic feelings towards him.
Kit eventually comes home and finds out that the enemy has followed him from Afghanistan - to his sister. A team of men assembles to protect her and the ranch. If you read the book, you can find out what happens to both the ranch, and Mandy and Rocco's relationship.
I'm somewhere between rating this 3.5/4 stars. Currently free for Kindle.
http://www.amazon.com/Edge-Courage-Red-Team-Book-ebook/dp/B007WXJ0H2
No comments:
Post a Comment