Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Review - Mountain Angel

This review is for the book Mountain Angel by Suzie O'Connell.  It is part of the Northstar Angels series.

Mountain Angel takes place in Northstar, Montana.  After reading the description of this beautiful place, I almost want to visit it myself!  The main characters of the book are Aelissm, Pat, June, Luke, and Adam.

I'll admit that I was almost put off of this story just because of Aelissm's name.  It has to be the weirdest name I have ever come across and honestly, I'm not even sure how to pronounce it.  "Uh-leese-um"?, "Uh-liss-mm"?  I have no idea.  But anyway, when the author referred to her as Aeli in the book I just called her "Alli" in my head and went from there.  I also was annoyed at Aelissm calling her uncle "Unk" constantly in the book.

So anyway, Aelissm moved back home to Northstar after a series of events that happened to her in Washington.  She is fleeing from her past, including her former friend, Adam, who is now stalking her.

Pat is a member of the police force and is sent to Northstar by his boss (who happens to be Aelissm's uncle).  The circumstances surrounding this is a little complicated, because it's referred to as a vacation, but he's also to basically act as a guard for Aelissm while he's there.  He stays with Aelissm and helps her to run a Bed and Breakfast that she took over for her grandparents.

It was slightly predictable that the uncle was ALSO acting as a matchmaker (so now we have Pat in Montana on vacation, to protect Aelissm, and to be set up with his boss's niece), but sometimes predictability is nice.

In the book we basically follow the every day lives of Pat and Aelissm, her best friend June and her son, Luke, and occasionally her stalker, Adam.  Pat tries to figure out what Adam's motive is, while battling demons of his own past (which may or may not come back to haunt him in the story).

Near the end there is a dramatic scene that unfolds between the main characters and people from their past.  I'm not going to spoil the book, so you'll have to see for yourself.

Overall, I thought the book was a slow, but steady read.  I enjoyed it and hopefully you will too!  While I did enjoy the book, I probably will not be purchasing the rest in the series.

I would give it a 3.5 star rating.  This book is currently free for Kindle on Amazon!
http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Angel-Northstar-Angels-Book-ebook/dp/B0083PN2QI

No comments: