Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Review - Finding Pride

This review is for Finding Pride by Jill Sanders.  It is part of the Pride Series.

I loved this book.  That said, I also had a lot of issues with it.  Maybe it's just the Kindle version, maybe it's all ebooks, I'm not sure.. but there were a LOT of grammatical errors which drives me crazy.  I realize on this blog I've probably already made a lot of grammatical errors, but I'm not writing  book so I don't feel the need for my writing to be perfect.  If I were writing a book, I would do my best to eliminate all errors.  Some of the phrases in the book were also a bit weird, and the actual formatting of the book was mostly highlighted with a white background on my Kindle.  That bugged me so much that I nearly deleted it on the spot but I decided to give it a chance.

Finding Pride is about a woman named Megan who is leaving an abusive relationship.  The start of the book is a little confusing and very abrupt, because when I was reading the description I thought we'd get to know her brother, Matt, a little bit before he gets killed off.  The beginning of the book actually takes place at his funeral which isn't how I tend to like the stories I read to begin.

The beginning is also where there is a lot of weird phrasing in the stories, especially with the description of Todd.  Todd is one of her neighbors (along with is siblings but you can find out about them by reading the book) who, like with many romance books, becomes her lover.  Todd comes off as quite standoffish and his jealousy is a huge turn off for me, but the author made it work.

Megan begins to trust him, and he helps her to finish making her brother's dream of owning a business a reality.  The book was very predictable from the beginning, and it came as no surprise when her abusive ex husband made an appearance.

If you like romance books that you can read in one sitting, you'll probably enjoy this one. I'm considering buying the next book in the series.

I gave it a 4 star review, and it is currently free for Kindle on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Finding-Series-Romance-Novels-Volume-ebook/dp/B009LQKHIO

No comments: